Malawi has recently established the Cabinet Committee on Sustainable Social Development which will be responsible for all social and development issues. The social development issues are Nutrition, HIV and AIDS, Health, Education, Gender, Child Welfare, the Elderly, Community Services, Disability, Youth, Sports and Culture.
The Cabinet Committee on Sustainable Social Development is comprised of Cabinet Ministers and will be supported by Clerk to Cabinet in the Office of the President and Cabinet.
Scope of work
The Committee will be responsible for the following:
- Initiating, conceptualizing and approving policy and strategies;
- Receiving reports on social development issues including nutrition, health, education, gender, child welfare, the elderly, community services, disability, youth, sports and culture;
- Assessing the extent to which social sector issues are mainstreamed in social development programmes
- Assessing the extent to which social sector programmes complement Government Economic policies;
- Monitoring and overseeing progress on Nutrition, HIV and AIDS response; and,
- Developing and monitoring implementation of Safety Net programmes.
The Cabinet committee meets bi-annually. Meetings are arranged by the Cabinet Office in the Office of the President and Cabinet. The Cabinet Office is responsible for communicating the decisions made by Cabinet and inform the Ministry of Health (DNHA) who, where appropriate, share the information on such decisions with respective partners.
The Cabinet Committee on Sustainable Social Development is chaired by a Cabinet Minister as appointed by the President of the Republic of Malawi.
Accountability and reporting
The Cabinet Committee on Sustainable Social Development reports to Cabinet.
Linkages with other and coordinating committees
The Cabinet Committee on Sustainable Social Development will coordinate with other committees within the Cabinet and the National Assembly.